• All that you need to learn about New Zealand visas

    The visa you require will depend on the type of study you choose to study and how long you want to stay in New Zealand. Holding a valid passport and a valid visa is a gateway to a trouble-free entry to New Zealand.

    While you’re studying in New Zealand, it’s important to maintain your student tuition fees status positive. This status relates to the purpose or the reason why you came to New Zealand.

    For your visa application, you may require the following documents:

    • A new passport that will be valid for at least three months following your stay in New Zealand.
    • A letter of approval from a New Zealand educational provider specifying the minimum length of the course, the total amount of the tuition fee, and whether the tuition fee is in domestic and foreign currency. The course shall be accepted by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.

    Additional documentation can also be needed, such as:

    • Academic qualification records such as transcripts, diplomas, degrees, and certificates
    • Update version student visa application form. (New Zealand immigration department frequently update their visa application form)
    • College or University tuition fee payment receipt indicating payment date
    • Proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your living costs for the duration of your stay
    • You would need to prove that you have NZ$15,000 for a full year of research or NZ$1,250 per month

    This may include:

    • Bank statements
    • The sponsor’s financial commitment to pay rent and living expenses
    • Any scholarship or grant offer
    • Proof that you are leaving New Zealand after finishing your course. This could be in the form of flight tickets, but it is optional
    • A police clearance certificate if you are 17 years of age or older and expect to study for more than 24 months. A police clearance certificate is a record that is used as evidence of good character
    • An X-ray certificate-you will need a chest x-ray if you live in New Zealand for more than six months, or if you are a resident of a country with a relatively high incidence of tuberculosis, or if you have spent more than three months in a country with a relatively high incidence of tuberculosis in the last five years
    • Full medical test

    Find more information

    You may find out more about each of the different types of visas and how to apply on the New Zealand Government Immigration website.